Search Me!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Danger of Education

This first blog serves as an overview of future rants.

When you start college, you are told of the numerous things you will take away from the experience. Greater intelligence, career opportunities, a resulting better lifestyle, and lifelong friends. No one ever mentions the other side effects.

I now find myself less tolerant of uneducated people. And by that, I do not necessarily mean people who did not go to college, although that tends to be the pattern. I mean those people who are unintelligent and have no desire to change that status. Those who believe everything they are told, whether it is from another uninformed person, or a common source of our society’s ignorance: local news, extremist groups, “Christian” missions, or the military. Offended yet? Keep reading.

The more education a person gets, the more difficult dating becomes. As a female, being intelligent instantly makes me less attractive. Although it is really fun to use multiple syllable words with an idiot to see if they pretend to know what’s going on or if they just look confused. Educated men are also instantly targeted by every surrounding woman who needs a baby daddy or someone to further their life dream of not working and watching daytime soaps.

Finding a job becomes more difficult. While in high school or during college, we work the worst jobs in fast food and retail, which are easy to obtain. After gaining an education, with the excitement that we will no longer be working late nights with vats of grease or biting animals, we find unemployment a lifestyle in hearing the dreaded phrase “you’re overqualified.”

After college, one realizes how the social life has suffered. You lost contact with high school friends after the majority of them hate you for never being around due to this unknown world of classes, tests, and responsibility. After college, you find these friends are on their sixth kid and on welfare or working a dead-end job.

I am not advocating for people not to go to college. I believe it should almost be a requirement. College serves as the catalyst for life changes for many people. Most, like me, may not be aware of these changes.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I turn 30 in little over a week. I obtained my M.A. from the University of Oklahoma in 2008 and have not landed that "dream job." I hear that I'm overqualified on a weekly basis.

    My friends have families now and I get weird looks from people when I tell them I don't have children and I'm not married. My relationships don't last that long since I'm not a Paris Hilton or even dream to be.

    College made me the social outcast in my community. I was the first in my family to go and graduate and now I'm the least likely of my group of friends to buy my first house.

    I'm swirling in debt and reaching for deferment papers every few months.

    Am I upset that I went to college and that it changed my life? No. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. I just wish the rest of the world would catch on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been sharing this post with my students to warn the females that the more education they receive, the more intimidating they become. Oh well! Here's to being a strong and intimidating woman!

    ReplyDelete